The Catalan public universities vindicate dialogue as the only possible way to face the situation in Catalonia
The undersigning, Rectors of Catalan public universities, before the current situation Catalonia is living, condemn the coercive episodes of the freedom of expression that are taking place in recent days.
We vindicate dialogue as the only possible way for understanding under democracy, stemming from the conviction that freedom of expression and respect to one another and to the law are essential and irrevocable pillars of democracy.
The universal vision that lays at the core of the university obliges to observe the most fundamental values underpinning coexistence and the rights of people. All authorities and institutions must act with scrupulous respect for these original values of democracy and freedom.
- Margarita Arboix, rector of Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
- Sergi Bonet, rector of Universitat de Girona (UdG)
- Jaume Casals, rector of Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF)
- Joan Elias, rector of Universitat de Barcelona (UB)
- Roberto Fernández, rector of Universitat de Lleida (UdL)
- Josep Anton Ferré, rector of Universitat Rovira i Virgili (URV)
- Enric Fossas, rector of Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC)
- Joan Anton Planell, rector of Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC)
You may also be interested in...
- Today, September 21, the highest authorities of all universities and research centres in Catalonia (some sixty institutions representing almost 90% of the system) have met to assess the situation created in Catalonia as a result of the actions of the Spanish State in recent days. Representatives of...
- On 6, 7 and 8 February 2018 over 200 conferences in different teaching centres will be offered on all the UAB's bachelor's degrees, including new academic programmes . The conference will be given by UAB professors. It is the best way to discover first-hand the academic programme each student is...
- The aim of this course is to disseminate concepts and basic concepts about open access, with a simple and informative language, providing a panoramic view of good practices, initiatives, standards and tools to publish, disseminate and preserve both publications and the data generated in the...
- The network Scholars at Risk (SAR) has released Free to Think 2017 , an annual report analyzing 257 reported attacks on higher education communities in 35 countries, from September 1, 2016, to August 31, 2017. ACUP and its universities joined Scholars at Risk (SAR) on June 2017, in order to stand in...