The Catalan public universities vindicate dialogue as the only possible way to face the situation in Catalonia
The undersigning, Rectors of Catalan public universities, before the current situation Catalonia is living, condemn the coercive episodes of the freedom of expression that are taking place in recent days.
We vindicate dialogue as the only possible way for understanding under democracy, stemming from the conviction that freedom of expression and respect to one another and to the law are essential and irrevocable pillars of democracy.
The universal vision that lays at the core of the university obliges to observe the most fundamental values underpinning coexistence and the rights of people. All authorities and institutions must act with scrupulous respect for these original values of democracy and freedom.
- Margarita Arboix, rector of Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
- Sergi Bonet, rector of Universitat de Girona (UdG)
- Jaume Casals, rector of Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF)
- Joan Elias, rector of Universitat de Barcelona (UB)
- Roberto Fernández, rector of Universitat de Lleida (UdL)
- Josep Anton Ferré, rector of Universitat Rovira i Virgili (URV)
- Enric Fossas, rector of Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC)
- Joan Anton Planell, rector of Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC)
You may also be interested in...
Today, September 21, the highest authorities of all universities and research centres in Catalonia (some sixty institutions representing almost 90% of the system) have met to assess the situation created in Catalonia as a result of the actions of the Spanish State in recent days. Representatives of...
This Thursday, 23 January 2020, the new board of directors of the Catalan Association of Public Universities (ACUP) has been constituted, which will be formed for a whole year by the rector of the Rovira i Virgili University, María José Figueras, as president; the rector of the Autonomous University...
The ACUP has organized the work session "Reforming the government of universities in a moment of change. The experience of the Université du Montréal (Québec)" with the collaboration of the Social Council of the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (UPC) in the historical building of the University...
- Given the doubts being generated around the participation of British universities in the Erasmus programme from the moment when Brexit takes effect, ACUP wishes to report on the current situation and possible future scenarios. The organisations and administrations that are responsible for higher...